Here are some of my favorite inspiring quotes about life:
“Everything you can imagine is real.” — Pablo Picasso
“Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls” — Joseph Campbell
“I will never say anything that couldn’t stand as the last thing I ever say.” — Benjamin Zander
“One person with belief is equal to a force of ninety-nine who have only interests.” — John Stuart Mill
“When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” — John Ruskin
“Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible.” — Cadet Maxim
“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” — Edgar Allen Poe
“The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.” — Arthur C. Clarke
“Time is limited, so I better wake up every morning fresh and know that I have just one chance to live this particular day right, and to string my days together into a life of action, and purpose.” – Lance Armstrong
And, finally, this inspiring quote about life from Mother Teresa
“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is a beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it. Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it. Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it. Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it. Life is luck, make it.
Life is life, fight for it.”
We all have fears…and some are even less scary than fighting a 7-foot martial arts specialist.
1) “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” — Bruce Lee …
I’m frequently looking to take more risks in life…to face challenges that are a bit scary — below are some quotes about courage that inspire me.
1. “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.” — John Wayne …
Do you want to grow more? Create more? Achieve more?
Check out these 12 quotes about “taking action.”
“Don’t be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson …
I got positive feedback from the Awesome Chinese Proverbs posting and have since been looking out for other good quotes and sayings in various categories.
This posting of quotes on success was inspired by “Vegas Steve” — thanks for the inspiration from your Dare to Dream collection of quotes!
1) “Eighty percent of success is showing up.” — Woody Allen
2) “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” — Thomas A. Edison
3) “Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
4) “Whenever I hear, ‘It can’t be done,” I know I’m close to success.” — Michael Flatley
5) “Losers visualize the penalties of failure. Winners visualize the rewards of success.” — Dr. Rob Gilbert
6) “Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.” — Reggie Leach
7) “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.” — Abraham Lincoln
“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” — Sun-tzu
9) “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” — Margaret Thatcher
10) “If you get up the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed.” — David Viscott
11) “Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure. — Earl Watson
12) “Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.” — John Wooden
If you want to see all the lists of quotes I’m compiling, you can click my Quotes section.
My friend Kenny recently shared 5 quotes about money with me:
1) ” I am indeed rich, since my income is superior to my expense, and my expense is equal to my wishes.”
– Edward Gibbon, English Historian & Member of Parliament
2) “Money is not the most important thing in the world. Love is. Fortunately, I love money.”
– Jackie Mason, Comedian
3) “If you owe your bank a hundred pounds, you have a problem. But if you owe a million, it has.”
– John Maynard Keynes, Economist
4) “We pay for the mistakes of our ancestors, and it seems only fair they should leave us the money to pay with.”
– Donald Marquis, Humorist & Writer
5) “Is it not sheer madness to live poor to die rich?”
– Juvenal, Writer
Thanks to Kenny — a successful restaurant/cafe owner friend of mine — for sharing these awesome Chinese proverbs (in no particular order):
1) The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is today.
2) Much talk does not cook rice.
3) Man who waits for a roast duck to fly into his mouth must wait a very, very long time.
4) A friend is one who enters in when the whole world has departed.
5) Hire a young carpenter but consult an old physician.
6) Those who do not read are no better off than those who cannot.
7) If you want to know your past, look into your present conditions. If you want to know your future – look into your present actions.
To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is the art of survival.
9) Make no promises when you are seized by joy; write no letters when you are seized by anger.
10) If you must play, decide on three things at the start: the rules of the game, the stakes, and the time to quit.
11) A man who has committed a mistake and does not correct it is committing another mistake.
12) Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it.
13) Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid of only standing still.
[This is part of a John Wooden Leadership Series I'm doing celebrating his 100th year of life]
The following is excerpted from John Wooden’s amazing book The Pyramid of Success.
He begins with this overall quote:
“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.”
And here are Wooden’s 15 “Building Blocks” of the Pyramid of Success along with quotes on each:
1) Industriousness — “There is no substitute for hard work. Worthwhile results come from hard work and careful planning.”
2) Enthusiasm — “Enthusiasm brushes off upon those with whom you come in contact. You must truly enjoy what you are doing.”
3) Friendship — “Friendship comes from mutual esteem, respect and devotion. Like marriage, it must not be taken for granted but requires a joint effort.”
4) Cooperation — “Cooperate with all levels of your co-workers. Listen if you want to be heard. Be interested in finding the best way, not in having your way.”
5) Loyalty — “Loyalty to yourself and to all those depending upon you. Keep your self-respect.”
6) Self-Control — “Practice self-discipline and keep emotions under control. Good judgment and common sense are essential.”
7) Alertness — “Be observing constantly. Stay open-minded. Be eager to learn and improve.”
Initiative — “Cultivate the ability to make decisions and think alone. Do not be afraid of failure, but learn from it.”
9) Intentness — “Set a realistic goal. Concentrate on its achievement by resisting all temptations and being determined and persistent.”
10) Condition — “Mental-Moral-Physical. Rest, exercise and diet must be considered. Moderation must be practiced. Dissipation must be eliminated.”
11) Skill — “A knowledge of and the ability to properly and quickly execute the fundamentals. Be prepared and cover every little detail.”
12) Team Spirit — “A genuine consideration for others. An eagerness to sacrifice personal interests of glory for the welfare of all.”
13) Poise — “Just being yourself. Being at ease in any situation. Never fighting yourself.”
14) Confidence — “Respect without fear. May come from being prepared and keeping all things in proper perspective.”
15) Competitive Greatness — “Be at your best when your best is needed. Enjoyment of a difficult challenge. “