If you had to master one concept in online marketing, this would surely be it.
I’ll give some Googlejuice tips below…but first, some of you might be asking: what is Googlejuice?
Googlejuice is a catchall for a handful of things that you and others can do to make your products, business or anything else show up high in Google’s rankings when people search.
By the way, there’s a great book called What Would Google Do? that recently came out — it has a few pages on Googlejuice and in general how to work better with Google.
So why is Googlejuice so important? Because it can send enormous traffic to your Web site — and you don’t have to pay marketing dollars for it!
Question for You:
When you search on the names of your product categories, products, company, executives or industry, does your organization show up first every time?
If the answer is yes, please contact me as I’d like your advice!
If the answer is no, you may find the rest of this article helpful.
What’s the secret? I don’t know.
Google Juice is based on secret algorithms, and we’ll probably get the formula around the time Coke gives out its secret recipe!
But, there are some basic Googlejuice tips you can start working on now:
- Be Open – You should provide as much relevant information about your business as you can. Unless you’re giving up trade secrets (i.e. some secret algorithm or patent you own), you should publish it on the Web. The New York Times saw exponential growth when it freed its newspaper articles on the Web (it had previously charged readers money for accessing its articles online)
- Be Unique – If you have information that is rare or unique, that can help your Googlejuice! For example, if you sell an unusual product line of “Fabricated Resin Plates (I made that up),” mention that exact phrase on your Web site. Since very few other businesses sell such a product line, your site will come up very high for the people searching any variation of “Fabricated Resin Plates.”
- Have Many Links to You– The more sites that link to you the better; Google considers these to be endorsements of your reputation.
- Have Quality Links to You — The higher their Page Rank (a score Google gives your site (named after founder Larry “Page”) the more Google Juice you get.
- Have .Gov and .Org Links to You – Google sometimes gives links from .Gov and .Org sites more Juice than links from .Com sites (all other things equal) because they are typically linking out for reasons other than making money.
- Be Transparent – Show the world who you really are. If you messed up on some product or have bad news, you should consider mentioning it on your Web site (perhaps in a blog…Others outside your company are going to be writing/talking about it anyway (wouldn’t you rather have your prospects/customers hear about it from you!?)
- Be Clear & Specific – If you’re in the business of selling a vetinarian instrument for operating on squirrels, say it…People do search on such specific terms and if when they do they will find you!
- Be Simple – Google tries to behave like a human so don’t get fancy with graphics and such…just simply describe your services.
- Have Permalinks – Google rewards you for Web pages that stick around a long time (as long as they have useful information)…so if you have some valuable information, write it on a Web page and keep it there!
Now go enjoy a Googlejuice smoothie!