Numbers are so fascinating — I just realized that if Facebook were a country, it would be the third largest in the world (see rankings below).
For your business, it begs some of the following questions:
- Are you and your business prioritizing Facebook high enough?
- If you’re a U.S. business, should Facebook be your third priority (after China & India) in terms of emerging markets?)
- Who’s got more Internet users: Facebook or China or India?
- Who would you rather have as your customer-base: every person in the United States or every member of Facebook?
- Will Facebook rival China & India as a supplier to Walmart?
- Facebook is often described as closed — will Google face the same challenge of indexing Facebook content as it has indexing content of China?
Top 20 Countries in the World (by population)
- China 1,335,720,000
- India 1,176,791,000
- United States 308,639,000
- Indonesia 231,369,500
- Brazil 192,449,000
- Pakistan 168,679,000
- Bangladesh 162,221,000
- Japan 127,470,000
- Mexico 107,550,697
- Philippines 92,226,600
- Vietnam 85,789,573
- Germany 81,757,600
- Ethiopia 79,221,000
- Egypt 77,834,000
- Iran 74,196,000
- Turkey 72,561,312
- Dem. Rep. of Congo 66,020,000
Source: Wikipedia & Facebook reports