Fascinating study by Harvard Business Review looked at 300,000 random Twitter users and found the following demographics:
- 80% of Twitter users have at least 1 follower
- 20% of Twitter users have no followers
- Men Versus Women
- 55% of Twitter users are women; 45% are men
- Men have 15% more followers than women
- An average man is almost twice as likely to follow a man than he is to follow a woman (despite there being more women on Twitter)
- An average woman is 25% more likely to follow a man than she is to follow a woman
- Volume of Tweeting
- The typical Twitter user has only Tweeted once in their lifetime
- 75% of Twitter users tweet once every 74 days
- The top 10% of Twitter users accounted for 90% of tweets
There’s some good Twitter demographics on the chart at A Look at Twitter Demographics.
And if you want to see Twitter demographics related to Web site traffic, go here.
If you’re into Twitter, you may also want to read How to Make Money On Twitter and How To Get Twitter Followers (Ones That Buy!).